E. Carlson, circa 1998


 Go to Page 2

Built in 1911 in the Classical Revival style. It is no longer at this location--the corner of 1st and Paseo de San Antonio--but has been moved 500 feet down the block, closer to the corner of 1st and San Carlos.

The following Montgomery Hotel bio is from Paul Bernal--official historian of San Jose, practicing Santa Clara County Judge, and former grocery clerk at PW Market in Willow Glen.

"T.S. Montgomery was a big deal during the turn of the last century here in
San Jose. Besides being our leading real estate developer, he had the
distinction of being a director for BOTH competing railroads: Southern Pacific
and Western Pacific. He was also Chairman of the Board of the powerful
California Prune and Apricot Growers, Inc."

"He was constantly fighting to keep the heart of local commerce on "his"
street, San Carlos. His enemies over on Santa Clara Street were always
erecting newer and better buildings. (The fight is not unsimilar to that
being waged today between the auto dealers on Stevens Creek versus those on
"The Avenue of the Flags Capitol Expressway Auto Mall." Presently, Capitol
folks are winning, not only because the name of their street has many more
letters than that of Stevens Creek, but also because the City saw fit to re-
landscape the Auto Mall median with permanent two-story Americana towers of
bunting.) In like fashion, Montgomery convinced San Jose to locate its
convention center on San Carlos Street in the 1930s, mainly because Montgomery donated so much land, materials, and money to the project. And that is why 60 years later conventioneers hang out by Quetzy, rather than the Diving Lady of the De Anza Hotel."

"On this aggresive ride to territorial dominance, Montgomery built his
Montgomery Hotel in 1911 -- it was among the finest hotels of its day. If it
was anything less, Montgomery would not have lent his name to it. A large
portrait of T.S. hung in the lobby of the hotel until approximately 1980, the
current whereabouts of the portrait is unknown. The hotel was designed by
famed architect William Binder. It has 142 rooms, a ballroom, a restaurant,
and two (that's right... two) dining rooms."

"In the 1920s, a single room went for a pricey $1.50 per night. If you wanted
a bathroom it would cost you another dollar. These rates were 50 cents higher
than other San Jose hotels. "
-- Paul Bernal

  Page 1

 Go to Page 2