E. Carlson, 1999

Page 14  St. James Park Menu

Page 16

105 N. 1st St.

San Jose's second main post office building. Designed by architect Ralph Wycoff in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The building was a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project and completed in 1934 for $256,000.

It replaced San Jose's first federal building, the 1892 Richardsonian Romanesque Post Office on Market and San Fernando Streets as San Jose's main post office. It still functions as the downtown branch post office.

The building sports glazed, beige terra-cotta tile, and churrigueresque ornamentation around the windows and doors. It is constructed on the site of the old St. James Hotel.

In 1934 the lower floor was used as a post office proper, while the upper floor was housed by various government offices. The San Jose Postmaster at this time was Derrol Clace.

Page 14   St. James Park Menu

Page 16