From 1868 to 1931 (the year of the fire), the Santa Clara
County Courthouse was topped with a dome. To the right of the
courthouse stands the Santa Clara County Hall of Records, an
annex, or "north wing" to the Courthouse. The Hall
of Records was built in 1892 and demolished in 1966 to allow
construction of the Superior Court building - a building even
more ugly than its predecessor, on Market and St. James Streets.
Another annex, the Hall of Justice, stood behind the Hall
of Records, according to Harry Farrell, it was a squarish, homely
blob of a building. It was demolished along with the Hall of
Records in 1966.