E. Carlson, 1999

Page 26  St. James Park Menu

Page 28

200 N. 1st St.

Site of Letcher's garage. Clarence Letcher was the local dealer for Cadillac, Packard, and Pierce Arrow. He had the first garage on the west coast.

The current building dates from 1907. The original Letcher's Garage dated from the 1880's. The frosted glass was added to the structure in the location of the garages automobile doorways which keep the original configuration of the garage facade. Linda S. Larson Boston describes its recent history, "In 1987 Club Oasis began operating out of this former garage. A portion of the roof was removed to bring light into the space, a swimming pool was built, and the grease pit was converted into an "art pit" to display traveling art exhibits."

The Oasis, like Letcher's Garage, is no more. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The history of Clarence Letcher had a more unsavory ending. If you would turn to the next page.

Page 26   St. James Park Menu

Page 28