E. Carlson, 1999

Page 20  St. James Park Menu

Page 22

196 N. 3rd St.

Scottsh Rite Masonic order members, active in San Jose since 1850, hired architect Carl Werner for the design of their new buiding, which was completed in 1924.

It became the San Jose Athletic Club in 1981, and is known today as Capital Club Athletics - a private club for men and women. It is a neo-classical structure with elements of Beaux-Arts styling and Egyption ornamentation. Six ionic coloumns provide counter-point to the columns of the Santa Clara County Courthouse on the opposite side of the park.

Page 20   St. James Park Menu

Page 22