San Jose Postcard, circa 1910

Page 7 Page 8

Page 9

Looking west down Santa Clara St. According to Leonard McKay and Nestor "Wally" Wahlberg in their pivotal work "A Postcard History of San Jose," the biplane in the postcard was probably "painted in" - planes being rare in 1910.

Not far from the electric light tower was San Jose's first fire station & tower. A bell at the top of the fire tower being the very bell that would later reside in Plaza Park, then lovely St. James Park (bone-yard for unwanted statues & souls) and finally arrive at Fire Station 1 on North Market St. (to the right of tower a few blocks.)

The Tower Saloon was located in a building on the lower left. It became a favorite launching pad for San Joseans wanting to climb the tower--after consuming the requisite quantity of liquid-courage.

Page 7  Page 8

Page 9