Depicted is the Hotel Metropole, 37 S. Market Street -
unveiled in 1902. Remnants of the Juzgado may very well exist
at the foundation level. The Metropole was designed by William
Binder, an architect from San Francisco, who also designed the
Jose Theater and the Montgomery Hotel. The Jose Theater has been
spared a razing orchestrated by the forces of evil.
The Juzgado, built in 1798, was a government building that
included a jail and courthouse. Capt. Thomas Fallon's men first
raised the American flag here on 14 July 1846. In 1850 the Juzgado
was torn down. Michael Learmonth, writing for the Metro, described
it as "...the centerpiece of a dusty Mexican pueblo situated
along the banks of the Guadalupe River." From "Juzgado"
we derive our English slang word "Hoosegow."